Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Dogs Vs. Cats


Paul and i are alike in many ways and we are also different in many ways that may reflect our personalities.

As you know, some people are "dog people" and some people are "cat people". Then there are those "other" people who don't like pets at all. They just don't seem to see the need for a pet, and find them messy, a chore, and unpleasant creatures. Paul has 3 rescued Shih Tzus and his newly rescued one is a boy named Dimitri and I reall like him. He sleeps on a big pillow still clenching his chew toy that is his "security blanket". Dimitri is very comforting. I have 3 Sphynx hairless cats and they bring joy to my life. I first got my first kitten Ripley Biggles in 2003 and a year later I got a female named Cosmopolitan. I had some babies and kept one kitten and named him KooKooKaCho after my favorite Beatles song "I am the Walrus" because he kinda looked like one.
What I've been told by friends is that the difference between dog people and cat people can be summed up in one word: loyalty. A dog can romp outside and will usually (ideally) find their way back to your side, and back home. A cat on the other hand can wander out and may never been seen nor heard from again. Dogs seem by nature to be more loyal companions, whereas with a cat, you have to really work for that loyalty. There has to be patience, love, food, and the proper amount of attention given to a cat for a human to gain loyalty. Dogs seem to express loyalty more freely - often when you feed them and pet them the first time.

What saddens me though are those "others" who hate dogs, cats, guinea pigs, birds... everything and anything. Ultimately, they may hate people as well - I have yet to meet someone who dislikes animals who has a kind heart. Just because someone does not own a pet doesn't mean they hate pets - you know the "others" I'm referring to - those people who pass you on the sidewalk when you're out walking the dog who look down at you like you're walking a scorpion. A wise person once told me never to date someone that didn't love pets because they won't be loving partners. I think that may be very true.

Are you a cat person? A dog person? Both? Is it possible to be one and not the other? Let me know your thoughts.

2 comments:

thebonebreaker said...

KooKooKaChoo ~ that is awesome! :-)
[I would have to say that my favorite Beatles' song is Maxwell's Silver Hammer - odd, I know]

I personally am more of a cat person - I had cats growing up...
My wife on the other hand has an unusual fear of cats - she is a dog person [I am not big on dogs licking me]

We are currently traveling, so we do not have a pet at this time - not sure who will win the compromise when we settle back down :-)

dark wings said...

Hi there, I'm really a cat person, my husband is more of a dog lover, they say your pets take after you in some way, I can vouch for that one, lol, his dog takes after him in many ways, though i'm still trying to work out who has the most hair out of them....cheers!